Are you interested in serving on our board?
1. On November 1, 2020, the nominations period will open to the association membership for 30 days. This is an open nominations process where any member interested in a position may complete the application and submit to the Nominations and Membership chair. If someone nominates another person for a position, the nominee must be willing to complete the application process within the timeframe allowed.
2. Since Executive Board members will be voting on candidates, they are not allowed to nominate. Board members may reapply for an additional term. Board members will need to submit an application if they wish to be considered.
3. Members who apply for a position must have an active membership by the close of the nominations period in order to be eligible.
4. On December 1, 2020, the nominations period will close and all submitted applications will be reviewed and vetted by the Nominations Committee. Nominations committee members may be chosen by the Board president to avoid any conflict of interest. Vetting shall include scheduling and conducting phone interviews between at least two committee members and the nominee. Meetings may be conducted via web conferencing or other electronic means. This process should be completed no later than December 15.
5. The vetting process should include a determination of eligibility. If a candidate is determined to be ineligible, the President of the Executive Board shall notify that person in writing and give them three business days to demonstrate if any information is incorrect. Eligibility requirements for each position are found in the AECA Policy Manual.
6. No later than December 20, the Nominations committee will make a formal recommendation to the Executive Board of the slate to be considered for 2021 Board members. There shall be one name for each position.
7. If the Nominating committee is unable to come to a consensus on a single candidate for a position, the chair shall consult the Board President on the procedure for presenting both candidates to the Executive Board for a decision.
8. By a majority vote of the Executive Board, the approved slate will go to the membership for a final vote by December 23. Voting shall remain open for 30 days.
9. The approved slate of officers will be announced by January 30, 2021 and will begin serving February 1, 2021.
Here are some of our departing members thoughts about what it means to serve on the AECA board.
In addition to the online application, you must also submit two letters of reference (one of which must be from someone familiar with your professional experience). References may be via email.